recruitment for a dev team

drugbugz

recruitment for a dev team

Post by drugbugz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Hey there bg2 community, i really love bg2 have been playing it for quite sometime. Witch has driven me to start recruiting for a developer team that aims to recreate the American Civil War on the source engine. so if any you guys want to be a Dev on my team contact me by email coltonfrogge@gmail.com or by my steam name KhanTheBarder. :D wish us luck on our adventure. :D

JessieK

Re: recruitment for a dev team

Post by JessieK » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:14 am

So I quickly looked you up and found this

"Now i have no skills in the area in the coding and modeling, but i really want to learn all that stuff im only 15 but im driven to do this. Not only becasue i love video games but becasue i love the civil war, and have always wanted to mod for teh source engine. Just to let you all know it is not in devlopement but it is TBD."

If you have 0 skills and cannot even spell the word "because" you have a long way to go from making a game of any kind. Learn a skill, any skill that can be applied to game development, there is no reason right now anyone should work for you, when they could easily cut you our of there dev team and lose nothing at all.
Also tip for the future, don't come to another games forums and try to get people to make your game for you, try moddb/indiedb and be ready to start paying people for the hard work that goes in to trying to make a game/mod of any kind. Also make sure you spell every single word you type correctly when you are trying to hire people for your game.
Check out my webcomic at: http://tapastic.com/series/Seraphim

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:43 pm

Mods do not require you to pay anyone. Also, as a community moderator I don't think it is your job to insult a community member.
The only one who can tell you 'you can't' is you. And you don't have to listen.

Hawke

Post by Hawke » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:13 am

Hello Drugbugz, and welcome to the Bg2 mod forums.

First I agree with jessieK that it is not entirely appropriate to recruit for your mod on our forum, and her points about proper grammar and spelling are valid when you're trying to recruit people for a semi-professional effort. I wouldn't take that as criticism however, just sound advice.

A Civil War modification for Source has been attempted at least three times that I know of. It's a great idea and it's too bad that nothing has ever come of those efforts. However I would advise that you start learning some basic modding skills before attempting to get a team together. You will be much more successful at gathering a team if you show a decent proof of concept first, either custom coding work, WIP models or a good map. It's a lot harder to get people on board your mod team with just an idea or some random thoughts. My suggestion to you would be to pick the area that interests you the most, either coding, mapping, or 3D and 2D art and asset creation and start learning everything you can about that one area. As you get better you can start fleshing out your modding plans, and start recruiting team members. There are a plethora of tutorials and helpful guides for every aspect of modding Source, a good place to start poking around is the Interlopers forum. http://www.interlopers.net/ You can learn many skills there, talk to people that have been modding Source for years, recruit for your mod and showcase your work to get valuable feedback.

If you have a specific interest in making models/textures feel free to add me on steam (hawke_s) I've been working with models in source for a few years now and I might be able to help you out, should you want to learn about modeling for source.

Best of luck with your modding plans.
I hated to have to kill them all, but they had to be taught a lesson.

drugbugz

Post by drugbugz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:43 am

JessieK wrote:So I quickly looked you up and found this

"Now i have no skills in the area in the coding and modeling, but i really want to learn all that stuff im only 15 but im driven to do this. Not only becasue i love video games but becasue i love the civil war, and have always wanted to mod for teh source engine. Just to let you all know it is not in devlopement but it is TBD."

If you have 0 skills and cannot even spell the word "because" you have a long way to go from making a game of any kind. Learn a skill, any skill that can be applied to game development, there is no reason right now anyone should work for you, when they could easily cut you our of there dev team and lose nothing at all.
Also tip for the future, don't come to another games forums and try to get people to make your game for you, try moddb/indiedb and be ready to start paying people for the hard work that goes in to trying to make a game/mod of any kind. Also make sure you spell every single word you type correctly when you are trying to hire people for your game.

Jessie i under stand your reasoning, and btw i know how to spell im just lazy most of the time. And Chris i did think about not posting stuff on here as to me it seemed rude to me that i would try to steel your people and stuff like that but i just said fuck they will understand. And Hawk and everyone else i appreciate your feedback, ill definitely add you. If its alright with you Hawk i have some questions about the source engine in general.

Hawke

Post by Hawke » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 pm

drugbugz wrote: And Hawk and everyone else i appreciate your feedback, ill definitely add you. If its alright with you Hawk i have some questions about the source engine in general.
Sure, ask my whatever you like.
I hated to have to kill them all, but they had to be taught a lesson.

JessieK

Post by JessieK » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Chris wrote:Mods do not require you to pay anyone. Also, as a community moderator I don't think it is your job to insult a community member.
I'm aware you have a personal issue with me but please re-read what I wrote I never insulted him, everything I put he admits himself on his community page, he said he had 0 skills I did not merely assume, and everything else was a CRITIQUE not an attack never did I insult him, never did I degrade his idea.
Plus technically games do not require you pay anyone either I am saying if you want quality work without being able to show that you yourself are someone worth working with (IE you make great X (X being anything from coding, to networking to UI design)) you shouldn't be asking for people to work for you for free, it's unfair, and I think drugzbugz is aware it wasn't a personal attack on him. He is not the first (and certainly won't be the last) to assume game designers/game artists will flock to someone with a "good idea" I think its only fair to give those people a wake up call.
As a community mod you're right I am probably not doing my job right, but I'd rather say what I think because I am me than say what I should because I have a tag on these forums <3
Check out my webcomic at: http://tapastic.com/series/Seraphim

drugbugz

Post by drugbugz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:31 pm

Hawke wrote:
drugbugz wrote: And Hawk and everyone else i appreciate your feedback, ill definitely add you. If its alright with you Hawk i have some questions about the source engine in general.
Sure, ask my whatever you like.

Hey Hawk i copied and pasted your name to the friend request pane and there where multiple results, by that i mean 100's of results. I think my name just brings up one result. Try adding me, My steam name is KhanTheBarder