Article on Musket Range

Nathan Hale

Article on Musket Range

Post by Nathan Hale » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:38 pm

Battle Grounds: Since 2001

joethepro36

Re: Article on Musket Range

Post by joethepro36 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:59 am

An interesting article. I was particularly interested in the design of forts it comments on. Star fort design makes a lot more sense now.

I stopped playing NW in part because of its ridiculously poor musket accuracy to the point where the musket is barely even worth having at all. Indeed linebattles in that mod were terribly boring and tedious affairs compared to the quick rounds and action of BG2. Some battles I'd get off maybe 20 shots without a single hit throughout even at what would be in BG2 mid-range.

People are very quick to assume that muskets were inaccurate weapons with an at best range of 30 yards. I'm glad BG2 has actually gone for historical accuracy in this sense.

Nathan Hale

Re: Article on Musket Range

Post by Nathan Hale » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:49 pm

joethepro36 wrote:An interesting article. I was particularly interested in the design of forts it comments on. Star fort design makes a lot more sense now.

I stopped playing NW in part because of its ridiculously poor musket accuracy to the point where the musket is barely even worth having at all. Indeed linebattles in that mod were terribly boring and tedious affairs compared to the quick rounds and action of BG2. Some battles I'd get off maybe 20 shots without a single hit throughout even at what would be in BG2 mid-range.

People are very quick to assume that muskets were inaccurate weapons with an at best range of 30 yards. I'm glad BG2 has actually gone for historical accuracy in this sense.
The accuracy and velocities of the bullets in BG2 are based on real-world tests. We used the top end of the bullet speed range, and that worked in-game. Accuracy also comes from tests like the ones they talk about.
Battle Grounds: Since 2001