BG2 Sticking on Loading screen

If you are experiencing problems with the mod here is the place to ask for help. Bug reports are also welcome here.
Greywood

BG2 Sticking on Loading screen

Post by Greywood » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:36 pm

This is a weird one. I've never had this problem before, I hadn't played BG in a couple of months and I went to play again the other day only to find the game will not actually load the usual valve/source menu for finding servers, creating etc.

It sticks with just the background image. I'd never had this problem before and I don't know what has caused it. I have tried other valve/source games such as day of defeat, Hidden, WWI Source too and they seem to work as normal it is only with BG2 I am having this issue. I've reinstalled three times to try and see if was that, verified the 2007 SDK twice. I don't know what else could be wrong.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Hawke

Re: BG2 Sticking on Loading screen

Post by Hawke » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:55 am

That is a strange problem to have. I assume your current version is Battle Grounds 2 2.2 and that you haven't patched or overwrote any files? There should not be an native files that would cause that issue, and reinstalling should have certainly fixed them.

In the meantime if you want to play again you could try connecting via the steam server list or by joining a game a friend is in. Failing that you could try and connect directly by IP using the developer console.
I hated to have to kill them all, but they had to be taught a lesson.

roob
Site Admin

Post by roob » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:21 am

That is quite odd.

Have you tried:
Running Source SDK Base 2007
Restarting Steam
Restarting your computer
Do you cant read me ? Not read ..
Not like whot i write ? not read too ...
Where is the problem ?

Greywood

Post by Greywood » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Thank you for the replies guys. this remains an issue,

I've tried to connect via server list too and I still have the same issue, it just doesn't load the menu. I've tried reinstalling SDK 2007, verifying it, and I've run it with no issue (the stress test etc) to see if it loaded.

and Hawke you would be correct in thinking that my current version is BG 2 2.2 and I haven't patched or edited any files or added any kind of mods or anything, this is completely fresh install. (3rd one now) so it's a bit of a mystery considering other source games work fine, as I thought it may be a universal source issue at first.

that's where it sticks atm, I'm going to try reinstalling the whole of steam I guess as my next try.
Last edited by Greywood on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VisualMelon

Post by VisualMelon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:09 pm

You said that it used to work - was it the same installation that was working that has since stopped working, or was it a fresh one that wasn't originally working?

Can you verify that the <your bg2 folder>/resource/GameMenu.res exists (it's jolly unlikely, but it's possible that your installer is dodgy and it was never created, have you re-downloaded the installer?)
I've tried to connect via server list too and I still have the same issue, it just doesn't load the menu.
Can you clarify, does the game itself load (i.e. you can take up your musket and run 'cross the battlefield), or does that not work either? Can you also confirm whether or not you can open the Console?
"I returned to the battery and spat out my teeth: I found only two."

Greywood

Post by Greywood » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:11 pm

It was the same installation the first time I tried it, I have reinstalled BG a couple times since in an attempt to get it working
I can clarify that the game itself does not load, I have now added a pic above of where it hangs. I'm going to try reinstalling steam, so I'm in the process of redownloading SDK 2007 atm.

Also gamemenu.res is in it's place and not missing

EDIT: I CANNOT open the console.

EDIT: on both a full reinstall of steam and bg 2 2.2 and SDK 2007 it still does not work, however now it's stuck with the creating sound cache, however that's only appeared the once and on second attempt it is just back to stuck on "loading" without the menu. I wonder if it is still something to do with the sound, it trying to load the theme or something. but I do not understand how, seeing as I've attempted to install a few times now.

The installer is fine, and is from the bg2 site. I've also tried the one from Mod DB just incase. This is a really annoying weird prob!

Greywood

Post by Greywood » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:25 pm

So I'm guessing no ideas so far then guys, I've now advanced to this point; If I connect with the steam "server" list.
any ideas on the whole main error from this error message? however the overall program is very sluggish and when I join a server it freezes and I cannot click "ok" on server welcome screens to join in

Sebek

Post by Sebek » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:58 pm

By any chance: Do you have a subversion version of the game? Those "smaller than" "bigger than" and "equal" chars look like it comes from some merge stuff from subversion.

Greywood

Post by Greywood » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:35 am

I wouldn't of thought so as it's a fresh install? and no not to my knowledge or intention.

So I guess my next question is how long til bg 3 or 2.3 at least

Sebek

Post by Sebek » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Website says this week: http://www.bg2mod.com/?p=772