BG2 Sticking on Loading screen

If you are experiencing problems with the mod here is the place to ask for help. Bug reports are also welcome here.
Greywood

Re: BG2 Sticking on Loading screen

Post by Greywood » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:37 pm

i'm hoping it's a whole new installer because I'm out of ideas on why mine is broken.
but as a patch its probably going to be copy paste huh.

ETA on BG3? (2013 Source)

Hawke

Post by Hawke » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:46 pm

I'm frankly baffled by these issues. Were you ever able to play 2.2 at all? And just to clear, your install directory is "Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\bg2" correct?

As for the error messages in console, it seems to be trying to call a file that isn't present in the mod, suggesting something or other got corrupted.

I can say that the small patch for 2.2 will be dropping this weekend. Perhaps installing that over a fresh install of 2.2 will fix your issues by itself. One can hope anyway.

At this point all I can really say about the 2013 version of the mod is that it will be ready when it's done.
I hated to have to kill them all, but they had to be taught a lesson.

Greywood

Post by Greywood » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 pm

As am I. most baffled. all other source games work fine. the program runs incredibly sluggish and yes it seems something is corrupted somewhere. I was able to play it yes, I was quite a regular player infact and I have been playing the mod on and off for 2 years now until I had a break of a couple months, came back to it and it had stopped working.

I've reinstalled it many times now, including steam and the SDK, and downloaded bg2.2 from various sources to see if any were corrupt installers, I still get the same results if I try to play.

Thanks for the info regarding 3, and I was also hoping the patch will sort the issues!

Greywood

Post by Greywood » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Gah.
Even the patch did not solve my problem, still lock up when loading no menu. no solution. It was fun playing BG while it lasted! I just dont get it AT ALL.

Hawke

Post by Hawke » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Is it possible, since the mod used to work and no longer does, that it's a hardware issue? It doesn't seem likely given that your other source games work but it is a possibility.

Greywood

Post by Greywood » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:53 pm

Hawke wrote:Is it possible, since the mod used to work and no longer does, that it's a hardware issue? It doesn't seem likely given that your other source games work but it is a possibility.

No it isn't a hardware issue, all my other source games work 100% with no problems at all. This mod/game just decided to stop working on me. Like I said above, tried the patch nothing, reinstall of steam, SDK and BG multiple times... nothing.

No, it's not a hardware issue as I'm playing Rise of Flight at the moment, and can handle much much more than just bg2.

Hawke

Post by Hawke » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:18 pm

Right, it was a long shot. I can't think of any reason why it should stop working. Our mod does play music on the main menu, which many source games do not do. Perhaps that's buggered it somehow.

Greywood

Post by Greywood » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:57 am

Greywood wrote:So I'm guessing no ideas so far then guys, I've now advanced to this point; If I connect with the steam "server" list.
any ideas on the whole main error from this error message? however the overall program is very sluggish and when I join a server it freezes and I cannot click "ok" on server welcome screens to join in

The main issue of mine is the first two lines of errors in the error box, I believe this to be the source of the problem, is there not one coder of the game/mod that can help? Well, it's the same now on 2.3 just different splash screens.

If noone can help in that respect can you tell me locations of all resonant files of BG2 and anywhere else they might be in "temp" folders or what have you so I can completely remove all traces of the mod so I can give it one last attempt at a reinstall, that is, if someone hasn't thought of a solution yet....

Hawke

Post by Hawke » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:04 am

I'll ask our coder to have a look at this thread, certainly.

I've peeked into my (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\platform\config) folder and I have three files:

1. ingamedialogconfig.vdf
2. serverbrowser.vdf,
3. voice_input.wav

The two .vdf files having been modified the last time I played BG2. If you can check and see what you have in your folder and the last time they were modified we might be on to something here.

As for the Hud.res file, I don't see anything about "HudHintkeydisplay" in our .res file. And the "Cl_NPC_speedmod_intime" is incomprehensible to me. Did you perhaps download something, maybe for Gmod that may have screwed with BG2? After all you said yourself that your game did work at one point.

Greywood

Post by Greywood » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Okay I will get back to you once I know of those Folder items, I'm re-installing the mod again purely to check the file structures