Modeling isue "Can't find steam app user info."

Modeling, programming, sound, ...
silentsands

Modeling isue "Can't find steam app user info."

Post by silentsands » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:00 am

Well hello bg2 and bg2 modding community.

Well it have been a while when i was last doing a model for the source engine. The most time when i am modeling stuff is for the unreal engine or for unity.
But hey i thought, let me do a nice model for my own map projekt in to the source engine.

Done just for testing again with blender a simple boxed shaped model with reference, phys_hitbox model and bone i also used the newest source tools for blender. (also newest blender in use). Well Exporting my smd files went quite well and also my simple test qc file for the final render besides of texetures was all correctly set up for compiling my new model for the source engine 2007 so i could hopefully use it in my bg2 map... well.

When i was useing crowbar and hit the COMPILE Button i get this.

Code: Select all

Compiling with Crowbar 0.34.0.0: "I:\Games\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\bg2\models\test\test.qc" ...

Compiling ".\test.qc" ...
    Can't find steam app user info.
  ... Compiling ".\test.qc" finished. Check above for any errors.

... Compiling with Crowbar 0.34.0.0: "I:\Games\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\bg2\models\test\test.qc" finished.

So my question now is how can i make today models for the source engine bg2 uses?

Sincerly Silentsands
aka
Dum Spiro Spero

Edit:

Well seems like no one knows it by it self. So looks like Valve screwed it up again. This time with the modding community. All their Workarounds didn´t helped me also so i guess i have to keep doing and puplishing my work still on unity and the unreal engine. If someone can still compile his models into the source engine. Tell me how and besides i guess you can call your self a lucky one.

Tatatataaaa.... your

Silentsands
aka
Dum Spiro Spero

Awesome

Re: Modeling isue "Can't find steam app user info."

Post by Awesome » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:02 am

Hi, I'm the lead mapper on the BG2 development team. I always used Crowbar to decompile models but never to compile them. However upon checking I see that Crowbar just refers back to Valve's studiomdl.exe to compile its models (but it only refers to a default location of studiomdl, so you might have to edit that if you haven't purchased Half Life 2 or have Steam installed on another drive). Check that you have those paths set up correctly. If they are but it still doesn't work tell me and I'll help you to set up and use studiomdl manually instead of working through these third-party programs.

-Awesome

silentsands

Re: Modeling isue "Can't find steam app user info."

Post by silentsands » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:28 am

Awesome wrote:Hi, I'm the lead mapper on the BG2 development team. I always used Crowbar to decompile models but never to compile them. However upon checking I see that Crowbar just refers back to Valve's studiomdl.exe to compile its models (but it only refers to a default location of studiomdl, so you might have to edit that if you haven't purchased Half Life 2 or have Steam installed on another drive). Check that you have those paths set up correctly. If they are but it still doesn't work tell me and I'll help you to set up and use studiomdl manually instead of working through these third-party programs.

-Awesome
Half-Life 2 you say? Wait a minute. Is that *.exe file from the sourcesdk2007 not working, in what ever reason? But a Half-Life 2 studiomdl.exe might work you say? Well let me try... :idea:

Code: Select all

"I:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\half-life 2\bin\studiomdl.exe" -game "I:\Games\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\bg2" -nop4 "test.qc"

(At first I was this...)

... and now magicagly it works!

(... and now I am this! "Why now? Why it works NOW!?!")

But i still didn´t understand now what you was saying about changing paths? was it this what i have done or did you mean somethink else? Besides, why is now the Studiomdl.exe working when i use the game bin studiomdl.exe from Half-Life 2 and not working when i use it from the given sourcesdk? where is the difference? Well for now i am glad it works for now. Thanks allot again.

(And yes this somewhat FACE pics are me... XD)