Free Tools: Making Skyboxes

Awesome

Free Tools: Making Skyboxes

Post by Awesome » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:52 am

Awesome here - I found some free tools one can use to make custom 2D skyboxes for maps. It can be hard to find these because it's such a niche toolset, so I thought I'd share them here.

Step 1: Find the high-res 360 panoramic .hdr sky that you want (you can find some free ones here) (if you can find one elsewhere and download it as .bmp or .png, you can skip some of these next steps)
Step 2: Open the file in HDRshop and export it as a .bmp
Step 3: Convert it into a .png via a image editing program of your choice
Step 4: Upload it to this site which will convert your panorama into the 6 images of a cube we want! This site is so useful.
Step 5: Use the instructions on the valve development wiki to implement your skybox into your game! Be careful though, as the naming conventions the tool uses and what the game uses are different:

front.png -> your_sky_namert
left.png -> your_sky_nameft
right.png -> your_sky_namebk
back.png -> your_sky_namelf

top.png -> your_sky_nameup
bottom.png -> your_sky_namedn

Follow the instructions on the wiki carefully! That's it! Have fun making custom skyboxes :D if you have trouble you can post here for help.

silentsands

Re: Free Tools: Making Skyboxes

Post by silentsands » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:22 pm

Cool, I´ll look for it fourther if it´s offers more komfort than the usual hand makeing style.

Darktum

Free Tools Making Skyboxes

Post by Darktum » Fri May 17, 2019 4:41 pm

bruh did u come up with this decision because u start making maps? hehe xD jk jk love u, keep on the good work malaka :