Ten + ONE ^^ Questions to the DEVs of BG2

silentsands

Ten + ONE ^^ Questions to the DEVs of BG2

Post by silentsands » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:49 am

Hi,

me and others just wanted to have some answers on our questions from the devs.

1. Is BG2 still in developement?

2. When will be there a new update (for example ver2.5)?

3. Is BG2 already converted into the usage of the SDK 2013 Engine version?

4. When will be there a "2013" version of BG2?

5. Why is the sourcecode Download Link not working anymore?

6. Do you use GitHub, if yes where is the projekt page so others might can add and give a helping hand?

7. You need Help somewhere?

8. Are you thinking by converting this mod into a other engine like UNREAL or Unity? So it might get a total "New" game by it self?

9. If question 8 is "YES" and you are converting the game into another engine. Would it be still free?

10. How biiig is actually your team?

11. What are you working actually on BG2?

Greetings

Silentsands

Nathan Hale

Re: Ten + ONE ^^ Questions to the DEVs of BG2

Post by Nathan Hale » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:49 pm

1. Is BG2 still in developement?

Yes, we are working on BG 3.0 currently - a major upgrade to the game in terms of graphics and game engine.

2. When will be there a new update (for example ver2.5)?

We're not sure yet. We have a lot of progress done so far, but we have a fair bit to go still. A large part of the graphics are updated, but we still have to clean some things up. We are also thinking about changing the class system slightly to be more interesting, but that is still up in the air.

3. Is BG2 already converted into the usage of the SDK 2013 Engine version?

No, but 3.0 will be on the 2013 engine.

4. When will be there a "2013" version of BG2?

The next version: 3.0 is on 2013.

5. Why is the sourcecode Download Link not working anymore?

Which website are you looking at? This one? Roob is our web guy and we can check with him about it if it is not working. I have not downloaded from that sourcecode link in awhile.

6. Do you use GitHub, if yes where is the projekt page so others might can add and give a helping hand?

We were using another project management program/website for awhile. I forget the name of it, but it was just sort of OK. We are indeed looking for help in a few areas. We always need people to do graphical work, animations, coding, and maybe some maps.

7. You need Help somewhere?

Mainly animations and graphical upgrades to models and textures. We also are interested in expanding our map pool, provided the maps are good. If you are interested in helping, Hawke is the person to contact. He should have an account on this board you can PM or email. He is the project leader.

8. Are you thinking by converting this mod into a other engine like UNREAL or Unity? So it might get a total "New" game by it self?

We talk about this every so often among the dev team members. I wish it were as easy as just converting it to a really realistic game engine. I like Unreal and Unity a lot, but it has not been feasible for us so far. It looks like 3.0 will be on Source 2013 engine, and it will stay there for the foreseeable future.

9. If question 8 is "YES" and you are converting the game into another engine. Would it be still free?

The odds of moving to a completely new engine at this time are very, very small. Source 2013 looks like our route for now. There is no plan to charge for 3.0. We would like the game to be a free download, as it always has been.

10. How biiig is actually your team?

Not big- a handful of people, with maybe 3-4 "regulars". We are always recruiting people with experience building mods.

11. What are you working actually on BG2?

We have done a whole bunch of map graphics upgrades, cleaned up our map list a bit, and are working on getting new player models into the game. We are also cleaning up various textures on models. I think someone was working on a couple upgraded firearm models as well, but I don't recall which exactly. We are also talking about tweaking the class system a little to make it both a little more interesting, but we will see where that leads.
Battle Grounds: Since 2001

Hawke

Post by Hawke » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 am

Adding to what Nathan said, the plan is to try and get version 3.0 on Steam Greenlight. This would raise the visibility of the mod, get more players and allow us a much easier system for updating the mod.
I hated to have to kill them all, but they had to be taught a lesson.

silentsands

Post by silentsands » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:02 am

Thank you vary much for your answering.

To answer Answered point 5. Yes the DL on the bg2 mod page under Downloads to the source files seems to be broken.

- http://dl.bg2mod.com/bg2-2.4-src.zip

by clicking it, it ends me up with a nearly empty page with some what yellow background and a outlined red box on top or to a no responsce message.

Besides has it the actuall Sourcecode in it? I think no, for all of us who would add some stuff on the codebase there could/should be a platform for it like GitHub. To bug out maybe some stuff or clean the code and other stuff quite easy and handly.

To Answered Point 7.

"Mainly animations and graphical upgrades to models and textures. [...]"

What kind of animations? Death animations, Walk, Gunhandle... etc?

And what sort of graphical updates?
Just new Texture-Materials like new grounds, walls, skyboxes, ...?
Or more like new shaders? ( What will require codeing and also the actuall sourcecode to prevent double implimentations for the same thing.)
Or you just mean adding normal maps, defuse maps, specular maps (Source and specularmaps... OMG!) and so on, on already existing textures?

And for what engine? For the engine BG3.0 will be on or still for the older one?

To Answered Point 9.

You know if you converting the game to unreal or unity it still can be free.

dding to what Nathan said, the plan is to try and get version 3.0 on Steam Greenlight. This would raise the visibility of the mod, get more players and allow us a much easier system for updating the mod.
You realy try to get it there? On greenlight I mean. In what kind of version? Just as a "Concepts" Item or more likely get deeper in to it and pay for it with about 90,- BUGS for a Greenlight Submission Fee?

Well how ever, you might than have my thumbs up!

Hawke

Post by Hawke » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:01 pm

You're quite correct, the download page is broken. I'll let our provider know about this ASAP and try to get it fixed, thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Besides has it the actuall Sourcecode in it? I think no, for all of us who would add some stuff on the codebase there could/should be a platform for it like GitHub. To bug out maybe some stuff or clean the code and other stuff quite easy and handly.
VisualMelon is the coder that has worked the most on the mod recently. He has an account here on the forums if you would like to message him any direct questions. And yes, we use GitHub for hosting our code for internal development, that isn't publically accessible. Are you a coder? Are you interested in helping out on the mod?
"Mainly animations and graphical upgrades to models and textures. [...]"
What kind of animations? Death animations, Walk, Gunhandle... etc? And what sort of graphical updates? Just new Texture-Materials like new grounds, walls, skyboxes, ...?
Or more like new shaders? ( What will require codeing and also the actuall sourcecode to prevent double implimentations for the same thing.)
Or you just mean adding normal maps, defuse maps, specular maps (Source and specularmaps... OMG!) and so on, on already existing textures?
Yes, to everything. We have a structured workflow for content creation that goes through a submission and review process, but people tend to pick their own projects, and once approved by the team as a whole, they focus on that. So we have new textures, models, animations, weapons and so on. Additionally improving some of the old textures with spec, normal maps, etc. There are going to be a lot of small tweaks and changes to how the game works, since we feel like the core gameplay is good enough already.
And for what engine? For the engine BG3.0 will be on or still for the older one?
BG 3.0 is running on Source 2013.
You know if you converting the game to unreal or unity it still can be free.
Yes, we are aware of that. However there is basically nothing that can be ported from source to a new engine like unreal or unity. Everything would have to be made from scratch, particularly the combat stuff like the bullet physics and so on. At that point we'd just be creating an entirely new game, which is a little outside the scope of a volunteer mod team that works in their spare time. It's an idea we've talked a lot about, and I think the interest is there with some of us, but it's just not in the cards at the moment. Maybe someday, right?
You realy try to get it there? On greenlight I mean. In what kind of version? Just as a "Concepts" Item or more likely get deeper in to it and pay for it with about 90,- BUGS for a Greenlight Submission Fee?
Yes, that's the goal. Once BG 3.0 is in a fully, or nearly completed state we will pay the $100 submission fee and try to get it added as a free mod on steam, like Fistful of Frags or PVKII. I'm not sure how they catagorize that anymore, I think they did away with the "mod" catagory and they just say it's free or free to play now. Everytime we release an update we are always in the top ten or top five games on MODDB, so I don't think we'll have an issue getting the votes from old players.

silentsands

Post by silentsands » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:18 am

Are you a coder? Are you interested in helping out on the mod?
Yes, I am a Coder, lol, actually I am a professional programmer, running my own little company. :P We and I do programming solutions for Soft- and Hardware needs and also developement of it we do by our self. :ugeek:
Also produkt presentations mainly in Digital 3D presentations is part of our buisnes.

For example here is one of our open and non-licensed to use conzept arts for a Streetlamp we once developed and presented.

http://fav.me/datff8d

Also, yes I am interested in helping you out on some parts of the mod. Well it looks like you need everywhere some support according to your last post. There for, for optimicing processing, it would be good to know what is right now urgent or what is still open and I may look on it to do some work for ya.
And yes, we use GitHub for hosting our code for internal development, that isn't publically accessible
To that I in my opinion I would make it puplic, so people can fork it and do work on it and when they have done some work they can give back a "Pull request" and if it´s ok you can insert it or not, your decision. I know there is the danger of someone is copying your work and so on, but actually you would open your mod up for some random people who just wanted to give a helping hand and weren´t able to do bcause all is somewaht "Closed".
Yes, that's the goal. Once BG 3.0 is in a fully, or nearly completed state we will pay the $100 submission fee and try to get it added as a free mod on steam, [...] Everytime we release an update we are always in the top ten or top five games on MODDB, so I don't think we'll have an issue getting the votes from old players.
Hm, you thing that might get the game back? Even when you are getting positive Votes the situation of that game isn´t realy changeing. I mean, empty or nearly empty servers, dead Clans, Less interests...

I often heard from people that they wish that BG would have some extra gamemods for example some sort of King of the Hill... (That is actually in my opinion already possible to do without any extra codeing and such stuff, simply add one flag in the middle of a map and let the tickets drain of the other team.),

also some arguing about the fakt that the map pool is quite small and most times for the actual situation made for a more huge amount of players what BG doesn´t have I think right now.

The other thing what is also confusing for some is in fakt some anouncements on this page.
For example
- http://www.bg2mod.com/2016/01/16/community-news/

or another example

- http://www.bg2mod.com/2015/01/25/2015-m ... p-updates/

where you said that there will be some grafikal updates in 2.3

Well I don´t see any refelktions in bg_snowlake...

some where thinking than there would be soon a hughe update to BG3.0 and where exited to see it, just to realise that thair toughs aren´t been going to be real soon. So they left, asumeing that the BG dev-team just done some sort of a HOAX. Please, don´t be mad at me! I know what it means to do free work in spare times. And I wasn´t mind to get offending some one. But it´s realy that what some where saying.

So I would asume to be a bit carful when anouncing stuff that isn´t quite done yet in the near future. In my point, you have done a great work and also it is great to see that there is still work going on in the background.

So in short now. Just say clearly what you actually need and I´ll look for it, if possible to manage it, to do it.

Greetings

Silentsands

and again, thank you all for your response.

Awesome

Post by Awesome » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:02 am

silentsands wrote:
The other thing what is also confusing for some is in fakt some anouncements on this page.
For example
- http://www.bg2mod.com/2016/01/16/community-news/

or another example

- http://www.bg2mod.com/2015/01/25/2015-m ... p-updates/

where you said that there will be some grafikal updates in 2.3

Well I don´t see any refelktions in bg_snowlake...
Hey, I'm Awesome as you know, and I was the one who overhauled the graphics on all of the maps. Yes, you're right, those news posts said that there would be those huge graphical updates in 2.3

Obviously that did not happen. I think that might have been because at the time not all of the graphical overhauls of the map were finished. It would have been very weird to have maps like bg_snowlake be super-awesome-like-graphicas-do-make-a-better-game and then have maps like bg_road that look like they're from the GoldSrc engine.

We ended up deciding that the graphical updates would be a part of the 3.0 update, not smaller updates.

Too, At that point in time, a lot of our efforts were on making 3.0 and we knew it was going to take a long time. So we still released simple updates whenever we finished simple features, to help polish the current game and build up to the ultimate 3.0 release (whose release date is still TBD).

And to cover the current state of the mapping/graphics department, all of the super-pretty maps are just sitting there waiting for the rest of 3.0 to be finished. Some player/weapon models/textures are still being worked on though.

Sebek

Post by Sebek » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:10 am

RIP Steam Greenlight. As you might have read already, Steam closes that down and replaces it with Steam Direct. With that you have to fill out loads of documents and pay about 200-5000 dollars (guessed by media) per title you want to pusblish. Gonna happen sometime this year in spring.

You still wanna do that?

Hawke

Post by Hawke » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:21 am

Sebek wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:10 am
RIP Steam Greenlight. As you might have read already, Steam closes that down and replaces it with Steam Direct. With that you have to fill out loads of documents and pay about 200-5000 dollars (guessed by media) per title you want to pusblish. Gonna happen sometime this year in spring.

You still wanna do that?
Yes, if possible. I'm cautiously optimistic about Steam Direct actually. Whilst it might be more of an upfront cost for us, it gets rid of the uncertainty of the voting system where we'd have to walk out with our hat in our hands asking people to vote for a 10+ year mod. Obviously, we'll have to wait and see how the system pans out, particularly on how they'll handle free games (no one seems to call them mods anymore) since we wouldn't be making any money back from releasing a new version.

Will be interesting to see how Valve handles it.